“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

Monday, September 8, 2008

Marhaba le Dubai!

ARRIVED IN DUBAI!

First, the Burj Dubai - now officially the tallest building in the world - makes the Sears Tower look like a shack. And the Burj Al Arab hotel - which I'm staring at right now because my room faces it - is... well, there are no words. How can you possibly describe the awe of a hotel like this with a helipad looming over you, and it all changes color. It's more amazing than any pictures I've seen.

I flew through the airport when I arrived. Contrary to everything I've read, as an American citizen I didn't need a visa. No line to wait in! They directed me straight to the fast-track passport line where I got through it in 10 minutes. As soon as I got to baggage claim, my bag was already through. Hopped in a taxi in 5 minutes and was here in no time.

As we were landing, we flew right by the Palm Deira islands. I wonder how expensive a helicopter tour of the city is?

Ah well, when daylight comes I'll be out and about. I have some plans already mid-day along Sheikh Zayed Road were all the great skyscrapers are, so I should have pix to post tomorrow. I tell ya, a 12.5 hour flight isn't so bad when you sleep through most of it, have a few meals, and maybe catch a movie. Not too bad. I love British Airways.

No comments: