“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day 6: Classic Paris and Charcuterie

Pont de l'Alma
Today we essentially checked of a slew of sights in a marathon of Metro-hopping and quality footwork. The Eiffel Tower was lovely to visit in the morning since there weren't a lot of people around and the sun was shining brightly. We didn't need to go up it for the view, because then we'd be seeing all of Paris except the Tower in our view. Best to save this for another vantage point. We strolled through the adjoining park, making our way to the Pont de l'Alma. First, there is a gold metal flame which was the model for the Statue of Liberty. It is also the unofficial memorial for Princess Diana where she and Dodi al Fayed crashed in the tunnel below.

We walked along the Siene past the Grand Palais, which reminded me of where Chanel had one of their most stunning runway shows a few years back. Across the street was the Pont des Invalides, which is a stunningly ornately decorated bridge. Heading a bit north, we approached the Place Concorde which was significant for two reasons. This was where Marie Antoinette was beheaded. Unfortunately we were unable to find plaque marking the exact spot, but we were close. Also, the plaza hosts the obelisk that was "liberated" from the Luxor Temple in Egypt. I mentioned in an earlier post that I had visited that temple and have a picture of where that obelisk once stood. My international treasure hunt was complete now that I have found the twin obelisk in Paris.

Running northwest from the Place de Concorde is the Champs-Élysées. We strolled about halfway up when hunger got the better of us and we ducked into a bistro on a side street. Our waiter was sweet but spoke next to no English. We managed with my basic French, and a combination of English and hand gestures. I'm loving the idea of constantly having a plate of cured meats and terrine before my entree and a cheese course for dessert. I could live like this. Afterward we ducked into yet another pharmacy to get me some cough medicine. I got both a suppressant for night and expectorant for day, but after getting an Internet connection tonight and looking up the suppressant ingredients, I can't take it because it contains a relative of codeine, which I had an allergic reaction to just days before this trip. Damn, 5 euros wasted and I don't have a receipt. Anyone need a cough suppressant? It'll be another long night if I can't get this under control.

We hopped the Metro again to the Rue Cambon, I had to make a pilgrimage to the atelier of Chanel and fortunately was able to see through a set of glass doors and take a picture of her famed white and mirrored staircase on which she used to sit to watch her models promenade on the runway below. We're getting really good with the Metro and Chicago could take some tips from Paris. We never wait more than 2 minutes for a train, it's quiet, gentle, and goes EVERYWHERE. The cars seem wider and longer, have more doors, and seem to hold a lot more people.

Walking down Rue Saint-Honore was like a mix between Michigan Ave and Oak Street. We also stumbled upon Place Vendome, home of the Ritz Hotel, Hemingway Bar, and the kitchen of Auguste Escoffier. We found ourselves back near the Louvre where there was some interesting architecture of Metro entrances. Another loop back along the Jardin des Tuileries and we rested in Angelina, which is a fancy tea room, complete with pastries, sweets, and drinks. I hit my wall at this point and quickly tired of the walking, lugging a bag, and dressing and undressing coats, gloves, hats, and scarves. Still full from lunch, I settled for just a hot cocoa while Carrie indulged in a vanilla eclair and white hot cocoa.

One thing we will never have a problem with: when Carrie orders pastries or sweets, she is guaranteed to have them all to herself with no question if my fork will be probing her plate for a taste. There is absolutely nothing that piques my interest in a patisserie. I already had a croissant for breakfast and that's where my sweet tooth ends. The tea room Angelina has allegedly the best hot cocoa on record, so I was pleased with this. That was my dinner. I am loving this idea of gentle breakfasts, large lunches, and a nosh for dinner.

I am also getting the hang of some basic French and am not shy about trying it out. I used to be very shy about using my Spanish. But now that I've been thrust into a language, I find it fun and a challenge to see if I'm understood. Although we found that our accent easily gives us away as Americans. C'est la vie.

Tonight we rest at the hotel, watch CNN, and plan for tomorrow. We're heading to Versailles, which I'm quite excited about. I keep forgetting to carry my other camera lens, so I may shoot with the fixed lens tomorrow for more creativity. We may try to revisit the Eiffel Tower at sunset and see it sparkle when it's dark. And to find some cassoulet.

No comments: