“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Egypt Travelogue

Since I was 8 years old, my lifelong dream was to visit Egypt.  In 2006 I finally realized this dream by traveling through Abercombie & Kent.  Throughout most of the trip, I blogged on another site about the places I visited and how it changed my life.  Unfortunately, a few months after I returned, the site crashed and the Travelogue was lost.  It was only until the other day that a friend helped retrieve the data for me, as it had been recovered a few years later off the server hard drive.  I cannot thank her enough for her effort to send my Travelogue back to me.  Re-reading about initial feelings and experiences had brought a tear to my eyes.  So now, in the 5th year since the initial visit (I say "initial" because I do plan on returning, and often), and given the political climate in Egypt, now couldn't be a more perfect time for the Travelogue to find a new home on Divine Tour, and to share with you what I wrote those many years ago.

Each subsequent post to come will be separated by date, starting on 29 September 2006, and ending on 8 October 2006.  There is a gap of time in the middle where I did not blog because we were cruising the Nile from Aswan to Luxor for 5 days without internet access.  In addition, I will post the Travelogue in regular font.  As I re-read what I wrote, I will post my current thoughts in italics as commentary.  And finally, as I wasn't able to do in the original Travelogue, I am now able to supplement the story with my own pictures.

I hope you enjoy reading about the experience, as Egypt is an eternally beautiful country, from her people to her villages, I hold it near and dear to my heart.  I also hope that through these writings, you can feel the emotion, amazement, and appreciation I hold for Egypt, and perhaps it will encourage you to someday visit, if you haven't had the fortune to do so yet.

No comments: