“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

Monday, November 1, 2010

Packing

For some people or some trips, we can pack the hours before we leave. For others, I could spend up to 2 months organizing, then another week "editing" and re-organizing. Those are usually reserved for when I know I'm traveling on international flights outside the US that have harsher carry-on and weight standards. Below are a few tips that I've picked up along the way that have helped reduce my luggage load significantly, and also reduced my odds of paying over-weight or extra baggage fees.

1. Target - Shop at the Target trial size section and pick up some packets of laundry detergent, hand wipes, hand sanitizer, travel toothbrushes, travel hairbrushes (that also have built-in mirrors), and anything else compact that you can fit into your toiletry case. There's no sense in bringing a full-sized toothbrush if you can pack one that's half the size.

2. Flight 001 Pack - I am in LOVE with this in-flight pack from Flight 001. I'm notorious for forgetting small items in the seat back of the plane. So in my carry-on, I stick this 4-pocket seat pack filled with: earplugs, headphones, MP3 player/Blackberry, drink coupons, boarding pass, tissues, ID/passport, Colgate freshen-up disposable toothbrushes, hand wipes, eye mask, itinerary, clean knickers, socks, comb, Xanax/Ambien, granola bars, and anything else you'd need in-flight, or for a post-/in-between flight freshen-up. Then it hooks to the back of the seat back/tray table so I can just grab it and go.

3. If you run out of an envelope of laundry detergent, shampoo doubles as detergent. And chances are most hotels are going to leave little samples in your room, so take this with you to wash your knickers and other clothes. Pack half the clothes you need, and wash the rest on the road.

4. Conditioner doubles as shaving gel. Smooth legs, soft hair. Again, hotels give out sample bottles, so leave your shampoo and conditioner at home.

5. Shout/Tide stain remover - works in a flash to remove stains on the go, then rinse out clothes with shampoo or detergent in the sink at night.

6. Binder clips and a shoelace or bungee cord - Clothesline! Binder clips can act as clothespins on a clothes hanger and hang them to dry in the bathroom, or string up a bungee cord in the room and clip the items to the cord.

7. Space Bags - These are invaluable for reducing the amount of room clothing takes up in your suitcase. They especially work well on shirts, dresses, cottons, synthetic materials, and anything else that can squeeze down easily.

8. Travel size deodorant - You don't need your whole giant container. Chances are you can get a new one at a local pharmacy if you run out. Again, full-size shampoo, conditioner, shaving, and deodorant bottles only add bulk and weight that you'll have to pay extra for at the airport.

9. Power adapters - if you know where' you're going, only bring the adapters you'll need, and not one for every country/continent.

10. EDITING - Edit, edit, edit. You likely won't need half of what you pack, so about 2 weeks before your trip, make a point to remove 1 item of clothing from your suitcase. Find ways to make multiple outfits out of just a few items. Shoes can mix and match (although I'm notorious for traveling with lots of shoes, I've been able to edit enough and not miss leaving a pair at home). My favorite packing tactic is to start a few weeks in advance by throwing everything I can think of into a suitcase. Then eventually I'll start to edit down and compact.

I've toured Southeast Asian for two weeks with nothing but a medium-sized back and a duffel, and still my suitcase was only half full when I left, and 3/4 full when I returned. It may not be a bad idea to buy a small, light portable luggage scale so when you move from airport-to-airport, you can weight your bags and know if you'll be expected to pay overweight charges later. It's also a good idea to keep a copy of your airlines' baggage allowance with your itinerary so you can plan ahead.

Lastly, a note about luggage tags: I prefer to make mine 2-sided, one with my destination/hotel address, and the other side I can flip around to my home address. It's complete with dates of where I'll be, and phone numbers. That way my luggage can catch up with me when I'm headed out, and meet me back home. If you're traveling to multiple destinations, make out an accordion list of your destinations, then keep rotating them around in the luggage tag. This will save time at the airport by not having to fill in and mark all those tags for each piece of luggage. Don't forget to put a luggage tag on your carry-on, too, in case that has to go into an overhead compartment and someone accidentally walks off with it.

No comments: